Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A well planned shopping trip

It's time to talk about grocery shopping. Let me just add that like packing, which is over now and we are in the unpacking stage... not as bad, I need a shopping buddy. Am I just prone to loneliness? I think it's that I get bored easily and I love talking to people when I buy things... not strangers in the store, I'm not that crazy. But, I like picking something up and being like, "Oh, I didn't know they sold this! I could use this in a recipe. It would be good with this. This looks yummy, should I try it?" Blah-di-blah-blah I'm sure is echoing through my buddy's head. It's better that I talk to someone and not to myself though...

Anyway, I thought I would indulge you in my grocery shopping experience since I like talking about food so much. It starts before the store though. I've recently been planning our meals for a 2 week period, that's how often I shop. And because I'm a super organized person I needed a system. So I started one and am giving it a whirl. If anyone else has a simpler method than mine I'm all ears. But, for now this works for me.

I start by getting out all my cookbooks, magazines and my recipe box and scour through them.  I look on the internet too. Usually on Allrecipes.com and Rachael Ray. I've had the best experiences with those 2 sites.

Then, when I choose about 8 recipes, I write them down on a piece of paper.

I try not to find 10 recipes to fill the 10 days of the 2 weeks... I know there are 14 days in 2 weeks I just don't like planning on the weekend because anything can come up, date night, family's house for dinner, leftovers, you name it. Same goes for the week days. I like to leave 1 or 2 days for a frozen meal or leftovers. That way I didn't plan on making a dinner that called for a bunch of fresh food and then something comes up and it would be a huge waste. I'm trying to avoid that, which is why I started planning.

So... after I find the recipes and write them down, as seen above, I list all the recipes and the ingredients I need on more paper.

Then... it keeps going! I transfer this list onto the final list where I write other things I need not related to recipes... all on another piece of paper. It sounds kind of silly, but I like the organization of it. I could probably use this list, above, and add to it but it looks crazy to me.

And then... it never ends, it's an ongoing, paper-wasting , food-writing system... I write the meals on a weekly calendar that stays on my fridge.

So, with my list and shopping buddy in tow, I head off... to...that's right you guessed it... TRADER JOES! I do the majority of my shopping there because I know there are no hidden preservatives or nasty-nesses... yes, it's a word, in my food dictionary. I also like their food options. Almost everything I have tried from there has been really good! Even if I didn't like much there I would still go to fulfill my deep love for their ice cream.

Finally, to end my shopping journey, my fridge is now full of food for the next 2 weeks and it thanks me for making it look so good.

Oh, and there's a bonus to shopping with a buddy who happens to be my husband...


Fresh flowers to go along with all the yummy fresh food!

No comments:

Post a Comment